I am a pretty good decision maker but there are a few things that make me nervous when choosing. One is a mechanic because I am completely clueless. It is possible someone could probably sell
me a flux capacitor. And 2 is a contractor because of the horrible stories a lot of us heard after hurricane Katrina. Let’s face it – Angie’s List exists for a reason. Home remodeling is a big deal and you don’t want to pay for it twice. Well, fear no more! Here are a few things you should know and ask before hiring a contractor:
- A permanent address: Okay, don’t make that face! It seems like a no-brainer but making sure your contractor is not from out-of-state of living out of a PO Box could really go a long way in case you are not satisfied.
- Ask for a referral: Talk to people you know and trust about who they used and how their experience was using a local company.
- Have a plan: Going into a business to ask for a quote is going to be hard if you have not done your research. Having a vague idea of what you want and the type of materials you are interested in really helps give a professional an idea of how much it will cost.
- Don’t hire the first one that calls you back: It is a good idea to get 3 quotes. Ask for a written bid/quote for the job so you can make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
- Ask about subcontractors: So you got a fair price and you like the company that has won the bid but when the work got started there were all these other people. Are they the company’s employees or are the subs? Casual day labors won’t be accountable and won’t be able to track down easily if the workmanship is poor.
- Don’t pay up front: A red light should be flashing and screaming at you if your contractor is asking for any more than 10% of the total before the job starts.
Marques Countertops is a family owned business and has been delivering excellent for 20 years. Located in Chalmette, we specialize in Solid Surface, Quartz, Granite, Marble, and Recycled Glass, for commercial and residential markets. We are happy to take time to meet with you, give you a free estimate and insure that your installation is done the right way the first time! Call us: 504-276-1627.